History of Northampton Amateur Boxing Club

Click on photos to enlarge...

Northampton Amateur Boxing Club began its long history back in 1953 at a time when there were no amateur boxing clubs in the town. A number of boxers were training at the United Trades Club in Overstone Road and in the early autumn of `53 a group of men met in the club bar and decided to apply to the Amateur Boxing Association for affiliation.
 
The first chairman was Sgt.Jim Geddes of the Borough Police and founder secretary was John Morris,an 18-year-old reporter on the Chronicle & Echo.The first President was local businessman George Riby but a key figure behind the scenes was Inspector Thom Nicholson of the Borough force who remained a guiding hand for many years. In later years,after promotion to Chief Superintendant he became Deputy Chief Constable of the Borough up to amalgamation with the County Force.
 
The first coach was Harry Reynolds whose son Roy was one of the first boxers to represent the club and who later became one of the leading matchmakers in the Midlands and was still a member of the committee up to his death in 2009.John Morris went on to become a leading boxing writer and finally General Secretary of the British Boxing Board of Control up to his retirement in 1999. He is currently President of the club.

The club has had many headquarters during its history including a former squash court near Franklins Gardens,a snooker club in Kings Heath and the old Friendlies WMC. It settled in Ash Street about ten years ago.

The club was affiliated by the Leicestershire,Rutland and Northamptonshire ABA at the end of 1953 and the very first boxer to carry the club name into action was Dick Rogers – currently President of the Northamptonshire Ex-Boxers`Association.In January of 1954 he boxed Wally Hadlum of Morris Motors at a tournament in Coventry.

IMG-20190320-WA0032R
IMG-20190320-WA0004

Over the years the club has promoted regularly at a variety of venues that in the early days centred on Northampton Drill Hall. Many of the tournaments have been for charity including a major event at the Northampton Guildhall in the early 1970s – the last occasion of boxing was staged in that hall.

In 2003 the club celebrated its Golden Jubilee with a tournament in the Lynn Wilson Centre at Northampton County Ground and that started an association with the County Cricket Club that still continues with an annual event that has become a key event in the local boxing calendar.

Northampton ABC
Cliffbrown
Harry renolds instructs
IMG-20190320-WA0027

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player